How It Works
The Starter Company Plus program provides entrepreneurs aged 18 and over with tailored advice, mentoring and training to help you launch or expand your business. Additionally, you have the opportunity to receive a grant of up to $5,000.
Funded by the Government of Ontario, the Starter Company Plus program is delivered by the York Small Business Enterprise Centre (YSBEC). The YSBEC is part of the York Region Economic Development team. The YSBEC serves the the municipalities of Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket and Whitchurch-Stouffville.
If you are located in the Cities of Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan, please contact their respective small business enterprise centres for more information. If you live outside of York Region, please visit ontario.ca to find a small business centre near you.
What you can receive:
- Mentoring from successful local entrepreneurs
- Training tailored to your business
- Business advisory services
- Access to business workshops and valuable networking opportunities
- Opportunity to receive a grant of up to $5,000 in provincial funding
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Resident of Ontario aged 18 and over
- Be proposing to start a new business, expand an existing business (between one to five years old) or purchasing a business
- Business operating in Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket or Whitchurch-Stouffville
- Not attending school or working full-time
- Not be a franchise business
- Be able to contribute at least 25% (in cash or in kind) of the grant amount
- Prepared to commit to monthly mentorship requirements and bi-weekly training for a minimum of three months
- Prepared to commit to a minimum average of 35 hours a week running your business
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
- Have not received a Starter Company Plus grant in the past
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the program. The program is competitive and approval to participate is subject to additional criteria and evaluation. Your application will be assessed by a Small Business Consultant.
The Starter Company Plus provincial funding is considered taxable under the Canada and Ontario Income Tax Acts. A T4A slip will be issued to the recipient of the funding. Any funding received cannot be used to service existing debt.
Success Story Testimonials
Based in Aurora, Mona’s Hair Salon specializes in hair services such as cutting, styling, colouring and even threading. Watch and learn how the York Small Business Enterprise Centre, part of York Region Economic Development, helped her grow her business.
Goblets and Goblins is a board game cafe based in Newmarket, offering customers a warm atmosphere to enjoy food, drink and play a variety of board games. Watch and learn how the York Small Business Enterprise Centre helped support and grow their business.
Seasons Floral Studio is a King-based floral business specializing in trend-setting florals, stand-alone wedding styling, curated gifts, plants & creative workshops. Watch and learn how the York Small Business Enterprise Centre, part of York Region Economic Development, supported their business.