Is your business next in line to join our thriving business community?
A strong and highly educated workforce that helps drive business growth.
Global companies see the value in having operations in the Region.
Industry Sectors //
The region’s economy is diverse and includes strong industry clusters that are home to companies thriving locally, across Canada, and on the global stage. Many of these sectors work together to drive job creation, innovation, and economic growth.
- Information & Communications Technology / 4,300 ICT companies – Canada’s 2nd largest tech cluster and densest relative to population
- Financial, Insurance & Professional Services / Ontario’s 2nd largest cluster with 6,000 business establishments across the region
- Automotive Parts & Auto-Tech / Home to Canada’s largest auto innovation hub (GM’s CTC Markham Campus) and a leading automotive head office location in Canada
- Life Science & Health-Tech / Over 300 life sciences and healthcare technology companies and home to Canada’s first “smart hospital”
- Building & Construction / $3.3 billion construction value in 2018 – 2nd highest in Ontario and 6th in Canada
- Logistics & Distribution / Over 1,800 logistics, warehousing, and distribution companies supporting 20,000+ jobs
- Agri-Food / York Region is home to a vibrant and thriving agriculture and agri-food sector, and is the fourth-largest food and beverage processing hub in Ontario.
2 Employment Megazones
There are 4 employment ‘megazones’ across the Toronto Region.
Ready to join Canada’s second largest tech hub and the #YRtech ecosystem?
18 Universities and Colleges
These world-renowned institutions are within commuting distance.
Innovation Advantage //
There is a flourishing climate of creativity and a strong entrepreneurial and innovation culture in York Region. There are a diverse range of innovation resources available to support entrepreneurs in the early stages, as well as, for companies with a need to scale-up an existing business venture.
- The Regional Innovation Centre, ventureLAB, provides mentoring and programming to high-growth startups. Since 2011, companies supported by ventureLAB have raised more than $100 million in capital funding.
Class-A Office To Co-Working //
York Region is home to many significant office towers and business parks, but we also have over 30 co-working locations that provide opportunity for small businesses and entrepreneurs to access top-quality office space at a reduced cost. Many are supported by post-secondary institutions and global R&D companies including York University, Seneca College, IBM Canada, and others.
Spread throughout our 9 cities and towns these co-working spaces provide an opportunity to network and learn from other businesses. This helps to build a strong business community that also connects enterprise scale corporations with startups and entrepreneurs to help drive business growth and innovation.
GTA Cost Advantage //
Within the Greater Toronto Area, York Region offers operational cost-saving advantages for businesses looking to leverage Canada’s largest business hub and the talent that lives here.
- GTA’s lowest municipal commercial and industrial property taxes
- 40% lower lease costs for Class A/B office versus downtown Toronto
- Up to 15% lower salary costs for experienced professionals compared to the downtown core (commute time trade-off)
- Range of location and cost alternatives across 9 local cities and towns
- A range of space alternatives to suit any budget and operational need: from co-location to industrial flex to Class A/B/C office
- Significant cost advantage versus the USA (taxes, employment, R&D)
- Free office parking versus average of $315/month per spot in Toronto’s downtown core
- Eligibility for Federal Government and Provincial Government incentives (case specific)
Future-Focused Urban Growth //
York Region is investing heavily in transit and other infrastructure to support growth throughout the Region, but with a specific focus on four urban growth centres in Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan.
- The Region’s four urban growth centres are Markham Centre, Newmarket Centre, Richmond Hill Centre / Langstaff Gateway, and the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre
- The only Region outside of the City of Toronto to have direct TTC subway access to Downtown Toronto
- 34 kilometres of Bus Rapit Transit, along with interconnectivity to the TTC, York Region Transit, VIVA, and GO Transit, and others make the Region highly connected without needing a vehicle