Are you a student enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution and thought about launching your own business over the summer?
Each summer, in partnership with the Government of Ontario, the York Small Business Enterprise Centre administers its Summer Company program. Summer Company helps support young entrepreneurs in Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville start or grow their business and develop skills. Students in Markham, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan interested in applying should reach out to their local small business enterprise centre.
The program is designed to foster and develop the entrepreneurial spirit in students between the ages of 15 to 29, and who are registered to return to school in September 2024. All that’s required is a good idea, commitment and hard work. In return, students receive:
- Receive financial support of up to $3,000
- Hands-on training and skills development
- Coaching and guidance
- Mentorship to help develop and launch a business over the summer
ELIGIBILITY FOR SUMMER COMPANY
To start the application process, check to see if you’re eligible by reviewing the Summer Company program checklist. You should also read about the program guidelines on the Summer Company webpage. Basic eligibility criteria include:
- York Region resident residing in one of the northern six communities
- Between the aged 15 to 29 as of April 30, 2024
- Must be a student returning to school in the fall of the same calendar year (full-time, part-time, homeschooling, e-learning, distance learning, apprenticeships, trade schools, etc.)
- Plan to start a new summer business
- Have not received a previous Summer Company grant
Spots are filled on a first–come first–served basis and the deadline to apply is Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
For more information, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out this special testimonial from Maggie McColl of Maggie’s Swim Academy, one of our talented participants. Hear about her journey, challenges, and the invaluable experience gained through the Summer Company program.