BUSINESS ADVANTAGES IN YORK REGION
LOCATED IN THE HEART OF THE GREATER TORONTO AREA
York Region has very strong industry clusters and is home to nearly 1.2 million residents, 620,000 jobs, and over 51,000 business establishments. As Ontario’s fastest growing large municipality and third largest business hub, York Region is a top destination in Canada for business, talent, and investment.
CLICK ON A BUSINESS ADVANTAGE BELOW TO LEARN MORE…
- 9 unique cities and towns make up Greater Toronto Area’s York Region
- 4 urban growth centres focused on creating desirable mixed-use live/work communities
- Home to 22 of the Greater Toronto Area’s Top 25 Neighbourhoods
- Over 120 different languages spoken throughout the region make it truly diverse
- Over 51,000 business establishments with approximately 1,300 new businesses added annually
- Nearly 620,000 jobs in York Region, with an average of 12,500 new jobs created each year
- Location of choice for global companies in Canada – over 500 foreign subsidiaries operating locally
- Home to two of Greater Toronto Area’s four major business nodes
- Large and established industry clusters including the highest concentration of Information & Communications Technology (ICT) companies in Canada and second largest Financial Services cluster in Ontario
- Most central location to access Greater Toronto Area’s market of 215,000 businesses and 6.3 million residents/consumers
- Over 140 million Canadian and U.S. consumers within 1-day drive from York Region and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
- Major Toronto-area Highways Corridor (Hwys 404-DVP, 400, 427, 407)
- Toronto Pearson International Airport only 12km to/from York Region’s boundary
- Direct subway to/from Downtown Toronto opening Dec. 2017 (Toronto-York subway extension)
- Over 3.5 million work in the Greater Toronto Area
- Over 83,000 university graduates join the GTA workforce annually
- Over 120 languages spoken in York Region and 47,000 immigrants with degrees join the GTA workforce each year
- 50% of York Region’s population have university education, third highest in Canada’s large municipal jurisdictions
- 4 urban growth centres built around walkable live/work mixed-use communities
- Over 2,300 hectares of forests in the Region with more than 120 kilometres of no-charge public trails
- Global business leaders IBM, Magna and LEO Pharma have all based their research and development efforts in York Region.
- A growing, vibrant startup ecosystem is emerging in York Region with the growth of such innovative startups to scaled-up companies of Sulon, Real Matters, and Green Owl Mobile.
- Budding entrepreneurs have the opportunity to bring their ideas to light using makerspaces such as NewMakeIt and YLabs
- The upcoming generation of entrepreneurs benefit from the Region’s library programs that provide training in 3D printing, coding and robotics
- Greater Toronto Area’s lowest commercial property taxes
- 40% lower lease costs for Class A/B office versus downtown Toronto
- Significant cost advantage versus the United States (taxes, employment, R&D)
- Central Toronto area location means improved retention of professionals
As a top Toronto area destination for business, talent and investment, York Region is the ideal place for you to take your career to the next level.
Located in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), York Region is now home to 1.2 million residents. The Region’s nine local municipalities are some of the most sought-after communities in Canada, offering unparalleled quality of life that attracts up to 25,000 new residents every year, most of whom are top professionals just like you.